Need for places
The below sources can help you to identify whether there will be a need for more school places in your area in future years. They also contain information on the existing educational provision, which can help you to find out whether schools in your Local Authority are oversubscribed and can also provide more general information such as class sizes and LA cross-border movement (i.e.pupils who have to travel outside their local area to go to school).
- Your Local Authority's website - it is likely that your LA will have published information on school places planning. This will be the most accurate and up-to-date source of data on any need for places in your area.
- School capacity - academic year 2014-2015: contains school capacities and pupil forecasts broken down by LA.
- Schools, pupils and their characteristics 2014: includes information on the number of schools and pupils, broken down by age, gender, FSM eligibility, ethnicity, and first language as well as information on class sizes. It also provides additional data such as numbers of pupils and schools for AP and Special schools by Local Authority.
- London Atlas is an interactive online map providing detailed information about London schools, their attendance patterns and future demand for places from 2012-2017
Performance of local schools
- DfE performance tables have information on school performance and characteristics, including end of key stage results and Ofsted ratings.
- Ofsted reports of local schools
- Ofsted's Data Dashboard enables you to find and compare schools’ data on progress, attendance, exam results and the extent to which they are narrowing the gap.
- Local NEETs data - data on pupils Not in Education, Employment or Training.
- Families of Schools database is a tool to help schools understand how the performance of their pupils, particularly disadvantaged pupils, compares to other schools with similar characteristics.
- Local authority interactive tool (LAIT) allows you to compare data about children and young people in all local authorities across England.
- DfE's statistical publications include a range of local authority data on schools. You can search by keyword or by category on the left hand side.
- ONS Neighbourhood statistics page is a rich mine of data on the local area. You can search by area in the search tool provided by LA, super output area or ward.
- If you want to see comparative data by area you should click on the ‘topics’ tab below the main search tool. For example you can see results between FSM and non FSM pupils by residence at below LA level.
- ONS's Atlas of Deprivation gives a useful visual representation of deprivation in your area.
SEN in England - Information from the school census on pupils with special educational needs (SEN), and SEN provision in schools.