We work to match business expertise with academy trusts seeking to strengthen their boards. Employee time invested in academy trust non-executive director roles has significant impact across many schools and pupils. The Academy Ambassadors Programme has already been adopted by employers like PwC, Lloyds Banking Group, Rolls-Royce, Northern Powergrid and Mishcon de Reya.
Our programme can be adapted to fit your needs. The Academy Ambassadors Programme team can either provide significant control to the employer over which employees volunteer or offer a more open programme. Many organisations use the Academy Ambassadors Programme in a very light touch way – introducing us to a number of their senior leaders, from which point the Academy Ambassadors Programme team works with them one-to-one. Other organisations want a group of leaders to be placed with trusts as part of a leadership development programme.
Academy trust board roles are a unique way for employers to develop their senior managers' leadership capabilities. The roles develop a wide range of leadership competencies – financial stewardship, reputation management, organisational development, standards in public life and so on. Knowledge and experience of education is not a pre-requisite, but the roles do require strategic leadership and sometimes ask for specific skills such as change management, HR, legal or financial skills.
The Academy Ambassadors Programme also has partner organisations that can support junior and middle leaders into single school governance roles.
Become a partner
If your organisation is interested in getting involved, the Academy Ambassadors Programme can provide:
- board presentations or business breakfast events to explain the opportunity to senior managers and partners
- a range of senior speakers for conferences and meetings – including outstanding business leaders and chairs of large academy trusts, founders of academy chains, board members, and Regional Schools Commissioners from the Department for Education
- one-to-one meetings support for interested candidates to find appropriate opportunities and guide them through the matching process
- networking opportunities for staff with regular events at leading education and business institutions
- support for staff in their non-executive role with online induction materials, sharing of best-practice and leadership thinking, and introductions to peer mentors.